Over the weekend I caught the news that 'The Outsiders' by S.E. Hinton is 50, that is five-oh years old.
A classic, and long a staple of middle school reading lists everywhere, I think a fitting honor for the book's 50th is a treatment on the VERY popular 'ranked' series here on the blog.
Reminder, these rankings are unscientific, unresearched, subjective, ill-informed, and 100% accurate.
Here goes - (Note: Character name is followed by the actor or actress who played that character in the 1983 movie)
10. The rest of the nameless Socs (various)
9. Bob Sheldon (Leif Garrett)
8. Two-Bit Mathews (Emilio Estevez)
7. Cherry Valance (Diane Lane)
6. Steve Randle (Tom Cruise)
5. Johnny Cade (Ralph Macchio)
4. Sodapop Curtis (Rob Lowe)
3. Darrel (Darry) Curtis (Patrick Swayze)
2. Ponyboy Curtis (C. Thomas Howell)
1. Dallas Winston (Matt Dillon)
Of course you could disagree with these rankings but of course, you would be wrong.
Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold.